Thursday, November 1, 2007

Is Opposition to Sun Myung Moon Religious Bigotry?

[Note: This blog post is reprinted from the February 3, 2007 edition of Scoobie Davis Online]
An e-mailer accused me of religious bigotry for my recent harsh posts about Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church.  This isn't the first time I've been accused of religious bigotry.  When I confronted Sean Hannity about Jerry Falwell's venality and smear tactics as well as Pat Robertson's nuttiness, Slanthead accused me of "hatred toward Christian conservatives." 

Here is my position on Moon and the Unification Church:

The upshot is that predatory political operatives in religious clothing can't have it both ways.  They can't go into the political arena and play smashmouth politics and then not expect people to hit back.  If being a member of the clergy gives automatic protection from criticism, then anyone who starts his own religion would be granted immunity from scrutiny. If I were to establish the Church of Partyology, should I be deserving of  immunity from criticism?

No comments: